Tuesday, August 23, 2005

The darkest hour

When I was single, I used to love getting off from work, and going to go exercise then eating dinner. That was my favorite time of day. Now that I have kids, the hours from about 4-7p.m. often feel like the valley of the shadow of death. I am shocked with the struggle of getting from naptime to dinner. The kids are whiney and difficult to say the least, I feel like I could fall face first into a blissful sleep, and the clock ticks away the minutes like it's in quicksand. Probably most surprising of all, is that I now learn, five years into this deal, that I am not alone!!! In fact, most moms will tell you that this is the hardest part of any day. All I can say to that is, shhheww! I thought I was a nutcase there for a while! Sometimes we women can do a real disservice to other women by pretending that we're not struggling. In order to save face, we inevitably can discourage other moms who are going through what we are, by making them think that "it is just them." While I think it is good, to keep trying when we struggle, being dishonest in that time can often do more harm than good. Well, I'll write more about that later. Dear hubby would like a help-meet now! God bless, all mommies in their darkest hour too!

2 comments:

Reformed Grits said...

LOL, wow, good to know Lisa! Haha

Emily, SO true you are not alone! Can I encourage you that it wont feel that way forever? Now that I have kids that are older that do more and arent so needy, that time of day isnt so bad. The older ones play with the younger ones and tend to them whether I need a quick nap or whether I am making dinner. I even have true HELP with dinner! They can also help in straightening the house for Dad's arrival if needed. Big families are awesome! I really do remember those dark hours, and occasionally they still come but there is light at the end of the tunnel, and it is NOT a train!
On a side note, when mine were very small someone told me the "true" name for that time was "arsenic hour." Either because you want to TAKE it, or GIVE it! (not really nice, but kind of funny.)
Be encouraged!!!!!!!!

Duchess of Fife said...

You can get spam on a blog?! What will they think of next?

Thanks, Kim! I'm seeing the light, it bits here and there - good to know it's not a train!